I am one of those people scared to raise my hands in church. When we're singing a song, I can be moved, even to tears sometime. All I want to do is fall on my knees and worship God, and yet I'm too scared. Sound pathetic yet? Yep.
What am I scared of, anyways? It's not like I'll be shot dead if I raise my hands, caught up in worship. I live in a country where freedom of religion is granted to all- I feel like I should be making use of this freedom. And even more importantly, I should be proclaiming the Song of my Salvation! We are saved, people! Make some noise!
Honestly though, I know I'm not the only one. There are plenty of people I see around me, who I know are in love with God. But are we embarrassed about it? I sure hope not. After everything He has done, is doing, and will do for us, how could we possibly even imagine being embarrassed of our God?
Our God is greater, stronger, and higher than any other. And even though he has the most awesome power ever known, (he holds the universe in His palm) He still chooses to call us His friends! He still chooses to be here, and among us! These wretched, guilty, dirty sinners are in the company of the King of all kings! Isn't that something to sing about?
My theme verse on this blog is Romans 1:16. It's at the top, by the way. I think it's fitting, seeing as this is a common topic in my mind, something I think about often.As I stand there in church singing, "My Redeemer Lives," my heart is dancing. I'm smiling. I'm singing to God- not to anyone around me. So sing it out! When I just want to raise my hands as high as they'll go and worship God with all my might, who's stopping me? Or rather, what's stopping me?
Fear. I think it's one of the most irrational, ungrounded fears that I struggle with. It's called standing out, and giving your all for God. What's holding us back? Society, perhaps? Culture, maybe? Conformity. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Romans 12:2) It's right there, in black and white. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, guys! So, what is this world's pattern? Well let me tell you, it ain't pretty. And one of the things this society shies away from is abundant worship.
Go to an African or South American church service, now those people know how to praise! There's nothing holding them back. They know they are dancing and singing before their God, and that renews their spirits and keeps them jumping. They don't care who hears their voices, they don't care who's judging their dance moves, nothing matters when it's between you and God.
Come back to North America, and go to a church service. The song's filled with passion, the music's flowing, and people are feeling it. But of course, that's not socially normal. And we all have to normal, don't we. We need to fit in. That's weird if you raise your hands to God in public. It's weird to dance and sing your heart cry to the One who made you. And of course what these people think of us is way more important than giving God the praise He deserves.
Does it have to be this way? No-siree, Bob! Why is it so hard for us to deviate? Because we're cowards. All we're doing is lifting our arms to emphasize our sincerity and focus on Christ, and yet we find it so difficult. I did it once. Only once. Sometimes I hold my hands to my side or in front of me where no one can see. I'm a coward. "If anyone is ashamed of Me and my message in these adulterous and sinful days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when He returns in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."
Wow. That's powerful, and I know I've mentioned this verse before. But it's important!! You know, one of my favourite songs we sometimes sing in chapel or at camp is "Undignified." I just love the message it brings across, even though I still fail to follow it. It goes:
I will dance, I will sing
To be mad for my King
Nothing Lord, is hindering
this passion in my soul!
And I'll become
even more undignified than this!
Some might say it's foolishness,
but I'll become
even more undignified than this!
God is worth it, guys. His holiness and perfectness is more more worth our praise than the approval of our peers. SO MUCH MORE WORTHY. If someone held a gun to our heads and told us to deny Jesus or they'd shoot, a lot of us like to say that we would hold fast to our faith. We wouldn't deny Him. Meaning, they are willing to give their lives for the One who gave His. Meaning, they are not scared to die for the sake of Jesus. Meaning, they are ready to carry their cross and follow Him, even to the end of their lives. And yet sometimes, I wonder if that's really true.
These same people, (myself included) though not afraid of taking a bullet for our King who took those nails, ARE afraid of whispers behind us from people who think we look funny. Ironic, much? Serving Jesus doesn't just go to the extremities- like martyrdom. We need to be abandoning our selfish, sinful desires daily, and in all circumstances. We need to be denying our greedy selves and sacrificing our old lives for the abundant life Christ has ready for us.
But we can't live that abundant life if we choose to hide from it! It's there, ready to be lived. A life where we can step out of our comfort zones and reach out to people at every turn. A life where we can be God's disciples, following His every command. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your soul, and all your mind. Refusing to stand or sing or shout our praises to God might be a hint that God doesn't have all of our love yet- we're still clinging on to the praise of our fellow, fussy friends.
People, this should be an easy decision! Either conform to the wicked ways of this world and wallow in your sin, or choose to pick up your cross, follow your King, and live an abundant, satisfying, rewarding life! You say you love God? It's about time you showed it.
Don't be scared! Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. (Proverbs 29:25)
Do not fret because of those who are evil, or be envious of those who do wrong.
for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.
for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
(Psalm 37:1-4)
I really encourage you to look up the rest of this Psalm. I just love it- it totally summarizes what I've been trying to say. It gave me a new perspective on peer pressure, and a new perspective on deviating from the norm.
I want to shine. I wanna shine brighter than the sun. I want to be a light to everyone I meet- and STAND OUT. The bible says that "They will know we are Christians by our love." Well, I sure hope people can tell that I'm a Christian!
If we conform to the ways of this unloving, unjust, unholy world, how does that teach people the way of truth? We must STAND OUT. We need to take the challenge and be DIFFERENT. We need to take the risk! We need to become undignified! Society is trying to teach us to do wrong. To ignore the poor and oppressed. To treat our eyes to obscene and lustful images. To endorse the American Holocaust- abortion. This is not what I call abundant life, at all.
I am ready to become even more undignified than this! We're moving upstream people. We want Jesus proclaimed from the highest hilltops- but that ain't gonna happen if we don't start going against the flow. We are different. We've been chosen. And it's time to do our job! We're God's ambassadors, doing His will and waiting for His return. We need to be out there, our insane ideas and mind-blowing actions need to be stirring hearts toward God. And if God is pleased with our work, isn't that more than enough? Stand out.
It could start with raising your hands.