March 08, 2013

For I am NOT Ashamed

A follow up on "Where Lies Hope?"

I've been trying to stop being so worried about my self-image. It all makes sense, but it's so hard to put what I know into what I believe. I want to find all my worth in God alone, but it's so hard because His satisfaction doesn't give us the same thing as human appraisal- good thing!

When we primp and try to look good for our fellow finite humans, we may get.... a compliment. Then, for the moment, we feel good. The other day a friend told me I was skinny, and someone else was commenting how I could fit into size 1 jeans. It did feel good, but it didn't last. And I sure wasn't satisfied. Because even after that, the next time I saw someone I deemed more beautiful than me, my jealousy went up and my self-esteem went down. How ridiculous is that?!

I mean, does God really care if we are fitting into size 1 jeans? Is that how he picks and chooses his followers? Praise God that it ain't! I came up with my own 'quote' while pondering this subject:

A king chooses his servants according to their potential, abilities,
character, integrity, honesty, qualities, attitude, and faithfulness.
The last thing that matters to him is the size of their jeans.
 ~Karis Rashleigh (credit to God for the revelation)

Bible reading tonight: Mark 8:34-38. It's the passage about taking up your cross daily and following Him. My translation: accept your looks and thank God for them. Suck up the fact that not everyone's going to like you! Learn to live and thrive without the acceptance of man, and strive for the best life ever by going the extra mile to obey God rather than man!

The part of that passage that hit home tonight was near the end was verse 38. "If anyone is ashamed of me and my message in these adulterous and sinful days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."

And why shouldn't he be? In these dark days where truth-seekers are rare and righteousness is being perverted, we need God more than ever to purify our hearts and minds and to set us straight. Yet, even with that knowledge, we are shy. 'Ashamed' of the gospel. If we neglect God at the times when it matters, (when our faith is actually put to the test,) then we are disowning our Saviour and LORD. 

If He were an earthly king and we, His so-called 'servants' disowned Him, we would most likely be publicly executed. People who choose to follow kings are proud of it! Not embarrassed! God is not an earthly Lord, he is patient and merciful. All the more reason to take up our cross and follow Him.

When the verse says that He will be ashamed of us when He returns, I can't get that picture out of my mind! I can just imagine it: "Behold He comes, riding on the clouds, shining like the sun, at the trumpet call," I can picture it. The splendour and majesty of the King of Kings!!! No doubt all the earth will fall face down, kicking ourselves for every time we betrayed Him! I can oicture His loving eyes like fire gazing straight into my soul, the reverberating words shaking my very being: "I AM!!!" Here is the ultimate proof, vibrating my very substance.

If we saw Him all the time, who would be able to betray Him? Yet we still do- often. And He IS here all the time, that's the thing! He sees when we turn our backs on Him. If we are ashamed of Him, He will be ashamed of us. The mere thought of disappointing God is enough to melt my heart. He saved me. He gave me hope. He is my Father. Is there any reason to be ashamed of Him? Just one: we're more scared of the corrupt opinion of finite and fickle humans than the everlasting judgment of the powerful and perfect Lord of the Universe.

Tell me what you think- does that sound ironic or what?