May 13, 2013

Come, Now is the Time

I've been waiting to write this post for quite a while now. I waited because I needed time to wrap my mind around the concept before summarizing it into words. I still haven't gotten it all figured out (quite the opposite, actually), but it's been a while since my last post.My thoughts will probably sound a little overlapping and confused, but I beg you to simply let me rant. I'll admit this post probably isn't as planned as I try to write them, but that's okay. So, here goes.

I want to talk about worship. It sounds cliche, I know, but there are some things I've been discovering about it recently.

For background, have you ever heard someone comment on the "selfishness" of God? I sure have. It makes me mad. God is a jealous God- and His jealousy is righteous. That's different than selfish. The reason people have questioned the selflessness of God is because, to beginning Christians and to non-Christians (and to everyone at times), it seems... well.... selfish, I guess, that God would create us, and then have us worship Him.

If we look at it through this world's eyes, that sure does sound selfish. It just sounds downright cocky. But I really think that's because we are looking at it through the world's eyes. It kind of bubbles down to the question of, "Why did God make us?" I'm not looking to talk about that in this post, and I may never get to it, simply because... I have no idea. I couldn't give you an answer even if I tried, for I would be scared of being wrong. All I know is God had a wonderful idea, and followed through, henceforth, the world. Why us? I won't know until I ask Him myself someday. Maybe you could ask Him too when you meet Him face to face. Sound like a plan?

So, leaving the question of why He created us, let's go on to our purpose. We could be broad- vague, or we could go into specifics and look at the whole storyline of people we know. People who feel God's nudging know His purpose in their lives- to do His will. But it's different for every person, so let's go with the broad answer. He made us to worship Him.

Don't be put off by that statement, let me elaborate. So first, I think, there was the mystery as to why He created us in the first place, which I do not have the answer to. But then, when we were placed on earth, our purpose is to worship Him with our lives. We were made to worship.

I was trying to turn my mind around and look at this from all different perspectives, so I tried the perspective of a non-believer. 'Why should I worship Him?' 'I have better things to be doing- I don't need to worship Him.' 'What will I get out of it? Why does He need my worship?'

Valid questions, let me attempt to answer as best I can. Let me go back to my previous statement: 'We were made to worship.' Think about it for a moment. If that was what we were made for, then how will our life feel complete if we don't? Let me expand, I don't feel like I'm being clear.

Imagine, for a moment, that you make a toy. Perhaps it's... a music box. When you open the lid, the little ballerina inside spins around and plays a little tune. Now, (forgive the fantasy), let's say that ballerina was alive. She has doubts. "Why would they make me just to play music and dance for them? Isn't that a little selfish?" So she tries other things. She tries to... jump. She tries to swim. She tries to yodle- I don't know! Basically, she tries everything except for what she was made to do. She finds that it isn't working! Her springs don't work correctly, her little gears and gizmos inside her don't function properly with other tasks, and she gets discouraged. She wonders why nothing is working, but you remind her. She wasn't made for those things, she was made to dance and to play music. Once she accepts that and realizes the truth of it, everything makes so much more sense! Do you understand my analogy?

So in the same way, we were made to worship God! He created us with different personalities and different talents and gifts, and if we just realized the truth that we were made to worship Him, then all our gifts could be used as offerings. But if we try to go off on our own and try other things, such as crime, unhealthy living, self-abuse, and basically sinning, we will find that it's not working. We think that we were made for these things. Even if we use our talents "properly," things won't feel right unless we are using ourselves for God!

So, okay. Maybe you're understand what I'm attempting to get across, and maybe you're still lost. I don't know how clear this is sounding- my fatigue is kind of rusting my concentration gears.

I know most people picture worship as a formal set of ceremonies and rituals including a bunch of 'thee's' and 'thou's.' No. Worship is not a Sunday morning tradition, it's a life. It's our life! It's the life God wants for us!

You've probably heard many stories, (as have I) about how people who seemingly 'had it all,' were not satisfied. Fame, fortune, health, status- everything anyone could possibly want. But it never brings anyone satisfaction, contentment, or fulfilment. There are so many examples I've read and heard of great Christian men and women who, despite all the material things they possessed, they chose to leave it behind and follow Christ. In this way, they worshipped. People who gave all their possessions to the poor, humbling themselves to a lower social rank: they worshipped. Mary poured the perfume on Jesus' feet, wiping them with her hair. In this way, she worshipped. Daniel prayed by himself 3 times a day, in private, despite the forbidding law. In this way, he worshipped.

I truly believe that living our lives as a testimony for Christ is worshipping. We are obeying God, and doing so with a joyful heart. Pouring ourselves out to fulfill God's purpose in our lives is worship. We were made to worship, so it should feel right when we do. Our souls want to know the truth and follow it, so once we've found the truth, Jesus, we will yearn to follow after Him!

I know from experience that worshiping brings peace and a sense of fulfillment. When I buy things, use products, wear nice clothes, there's always something out there that can improve it! There's always something more. But when I find myself stepping out of my way, out of my comfort zone, to follow God's calling, that's what makes my day. That's when I feel the happiest, and the most joyful. It's when I feel God smiling to me, and that is so much more wonderful than temporary enjoyment of material threads.

So come. There's no time like the present. Worship Him with your thoughts, your words, your actions, and your interactions. I think I've used this phrase before, but I love it: Live your life as if dancing before the throne of grace; completely innocent- as white as snow. I love that picture so much.

Excuse the wacky blurb, but I needed to say what has been on my mind. Now that I've said it, time to ponder, and apply. Play the music, set the stage, I'm on my way. Worship at its simplest. *Publish*